Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Evolution of a Parent: Our Sleep Journey

Before reading this post, please read The Evolution of a Blog.

While pregnant, I skimmed Dr. Sears' The Attachment Parenting Book.  A lot of the ideas made sense to me, but I wasn't going to take it as gospel.  I kind of had an idea of what kind of parent I wanted to be, but I also wanted to wait until H got here, and then kind of wing it.

And wing it, we did.  

There were many things I didn't know and wasn't prepared for.  When H was about 9 months old, I wrote a post on here called The Honest Truth.  This post was written as I was slowly coming out of a bad place, hence the overwhelming negativity in it. We had a pretty rough infancy with H, but it wasn't because she was a particularly hard baby.  I believe now that I had a hard time because of my perspective of the situation.

If I could rewrite The Honest Truth, I would probably keep the bulk of it the same.  I think it does a good job of describing to people the details of how having a baby is hard.  What I would change is the ending.  Yes, it is difficult, but what I realize now is the reason for it.  It wasn't hard for me because Hannah was a "bad" sleeper.  It wasn't hard because she refused to take a bottle or pacifier, or because she loved bouncing on the yoga ball.  It was hard because she was a baby, and babies have a lot of needs.  She wasn't a bad sleeper.  She just loved to be close to her mommy, (can you blame her?)  I would have melt down after melt down because she wouldn't nap anywhere except my arms.  Instead of reading books and researching the internet to try to figure out how to make her nap flat on her back all by herself, I think it would have been easier to handle if I just would have realized that she's a baby.  I should have realized that she just spent almost 10 months curled up in a nice warm, safe place, with the slightest bit of motion, listening to my heartbeat.  I was expecting too much of her, and had zero empathy for her in those moments.  This is my deepest regret as a parent so far.  

I had a love-hate relationship with co-sleeping.  I loved snuggling with her, and knowing she was safe right next me.  But I despised having to go to bed so early, barely seeing my husband, and sleeping in 30 minute increments.  Although nothing can really cure sleep deprivation, I think a better attitude about it would have made all the difference in the world.  I always said we coslept out of desperation.  "She has to sleep with me.  She refuses to sleep anywhere else,"  I would say.  As with my example about naps, I should have realized that it is only natural for her to want to cozy up with me.  I should not have made it sound like she was lacking some terrific skill that all other babies possess.  I should not have made it sound like she was totally and completely inconveniencing me.  The truth is, it was inconvenient.  But she is a human being that I am raising.  I'm not trying to make her fit into the life I had before.  This is a completely new life filled with new challenges.

We moved H to her crib at 6 months by making her cry, like everyone told us to, and it worked.  I don't regret this because I don't think it scarred her for life, and we all ended up sleeping better (including her.)  To this day (at 16 months old), she continues to wake at night.  We've been through so many different routines of sleep.   We go through about 2-3 weeks of consistency, then things change.  The times when I have been happiest are not when I am getting adequate sleep.  It is always when I accept the situation, look at life through her eyes, and have empathy.  It is when I stop reading things on the internet, or talking to other moms, making comparisons about how I "should" be doing things, what I should try, what is normal.  I'm happiest when I stay in my own world and realize I love the way things are, and we are absolutely fine.  I feel this way for a little while, then I get sucked back into the comparison game and try to change things again.  I tried to night wean, I tried CIO again.  We tried so many things I can't even remember everything we've tried.  I went back to having the "She's a terrible sleeper" attitude.  It was exhausting always trying to figure out how things should be and how to get there.

At this moment, I can say with confidence that I have come full circle.  We decided to go back to co-sleeping, at least part time.  We realized, as a family, that this is just what H needs.  By waking up so many times at night, she is trying to tell us something.  She is not ready to be by herself all night long.  Sure, sometimes she only wakes twice, which is less than some toddlers do, but it would always take me about 30 minutes to get her to go back down.  This meant about 2.5 hour sleep stretches per night for me.  We bought a mattress a few weeks ago and put it on the floor in H's room, and I have never been happier.  Sometimes when she wakes, I can rock her and get her back in her bed, and I sneak back to my bed.  Sometimes, I just lay down with her and sleep with her the rest of the night.  It is amazing.  I now have a love-love relationship with cosleeping.  There are times when she only wakes once, and I only have to nurse for a bit and she rolls over and goes back to sleep, all without me having to get up.  There are times when she wakes, and all I have to do is pat her back and remind her I'm there for her, and she goes back to sleep.  If she was alone in her crib, a simple little wake up like that always turned into a big prodcution: cry a little, stand up, cry a lot, wait for me, I come in, nurse, rock, nurse, rock, try to lay her down, cry again, nurse, rock, nurse, rock, etc.  All she was trying to tell me in those wake ups was, "Mommy, I'm alone in here!  Where are you?  I'd like to see you and have you hold me for a minute please."  Now with her next to me, when she wakes up, she is thinking, "Mommy? Are you there? Oh you are, I'll go back to sleep now."  Even though H may be waking just as frequently at times, I feel more rested than I have in a very long time.  There are times when I feel pretty tired, but I try to maintain a good attitude about it.  I love waking up in the morning to a big, wet, open-mouthed kiss from my little girl.  When she had a cold, I was able to nurse her a lot at night, so she didn't keep herself up all night coughing.  I love that I could do that for her.  I was tired, yes, but I felt good about the reason for being tired.  And I was much less tired than I would have been if I had to get up constantly all night to tend to a sick a baby.  

So there you have it.  My evolution as a parent so far, and our roller coaster of a sleep journey.  I'm sure parenting will continue to be a roller coaster in and of itself for the duration of my motherhood.  I'm not much for labeling the type of parent I am because I think it's better to pick and choose little things here and there that work for you.  But here I am, a co-sleeping, breastfeeding, amber teething necklace buying softy who most would probably consider an "Attachment Parent." I suppose if I'm labeling, that is the label I would prefer; however the woman at nurshable.com uses the word "gentle parenting," which I like better.  I didn't start off as a parent thinking, "I am going to be an attachment parent."  We just do what works for our family.  What I've come to realize is that I am happiest as a parent when I listen to my gut, and respond to my child's needs according to my instincts.  I regret not knowing all of this and for not having this point of view before Hannah was born, but I'm forever grateful to her for teaching all of this to me.  

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every thing about this post. We're cosleeping with our nearly 13 month old and while it was born out of desperation (swing/swaddle at 6 months) I now couldn't imagine it any other way. I desperately researched online & in books and ultimately drove myself and my husband insane. Once I stopped & accepted that night parenting was just as important to his upbringing as anything else - if not more. Waking up to his silly noises and giggles is now such a source of joy. I feel so grateful for the opportunity to have that time with him. As I kept telling myself - no one wakes up one day in their 70s saying "Man, I really wish I hadn't snuggled with my baby so much... " :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I will never regret all the snuggles! I also drove myself and my husband insane with all the "well, so and so says we should do this. I read we need to try this," and the like. Even though I'm still tired, at least I'm not tired AND confused, right?? Good luck with everything !

      Delete
  3. I shared this several times because I completely relate to it. I want to write my own version, but you nailed it so perfectly. Even the most difficult and exhausting and inconvenient parenting situations I've encountered were saved when I adopted a new perspective and understanding (and patience)and also when I meditated on how I actually felt about our parenting methods, and not how other people made me feel. I think coming to these conclusions is so necessary for every parent! Thank you for writing this helpful and truthful article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad you can relate. I would encourage you to still write your own version. Actually writing these things down has been so helpful for me! And you're exactly right about reflecting on how YOU feel, not how others make you feel. What a difference perspective makes! I feel like we, as parents, are constantly comparing, and sleep is such a hot topic in parenting circles. It's talked about constantly. I never knew my life would revolve so much around sleep issues! It has gotten much easier since I have stopped making into such a big deal!

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog from the nurshable parent and I think I could have written it myself. My daughter (also named Hannah) is only 4 months old and going through a sleep regression. For the last 5 days, she has been up almost every hour. Last night,however, I had her in my bed and although she still woke up, we both got sleep. We have hired and paid good money for a sleep consultant and I have been worried SICK (like gone to hospital and talked with a PPD social worker) over messing her up and giving her too many crutches she needs for sleep. But after last night something seemed to 'click' and I think this post has helped me solidify my opinion on the matter (for now). It is so hard to know what you are doing right. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, our stories are so similar. 4.5 months was one of my lowest points. I remember being at a Super Bowl party and crying on the way home because bed time was soon and I knew what was coming! I also saw someone for PPD, and almost hired a sleep consultant. I read book after book, driving my husband (and myself) crazy!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this post! My son is the worst sleeper day and night and I was so stressed and unhappy when I tried to change things and when I accepted them I felt happier. I keep telling myself that it's not forever and I won't be nursing him to sleep on his honeymoon. Friends don't understand and other mothers just make me feel bad. We are just doing what we need to do so that everyone is happy (it's not perfect) but I'm ok with things and I want to look back on this time by remembering all the good moments and not focusing on feeling negative. Thank you for reassuring me that it's really about the attitude. I can't control his sleep but I can control how I react to it and feel about it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete